Thursday, November 22, 2012

My Childhood journey from Autism to Genius in just 2 years

Crazy early education






My Childhood journey from Autism to Genius in just 2 years

I repeated the first grade and then skipped the 5th grade several years later.  I went from being labeled retarded or autistic by my young  first grade teacher to making straight A's in 3rd and 4th grade teacher.  This is a true story. 

Public education is not for everyone.  It is a one size fits all system and it really should be tailored to each individual.  All children would benefit from having team meetings and IEP’s or Indivdiual Education Plan.  

My problems were misunderstood. I was pretty misunderstood.  I think I was an indigo child early in the 1960's. I refuse to talk about my mom's temper but I was in and out of the hospital as a kid.  I would detach completely from everyone and everything.

  My parents were fighting all the time at home and I really feared they would kill each other.  I would go into my closet and tremble then develop an asthma attack.  I would be near death, blue from lack of oxygen when my parents would then rush me to the hospital.  The pediatrician was a very wise man.  I loved him.  He got the nurses to “make me pretty”.  They would come and do my hair with ribbons and pins.  The first time he saw me my hair was dirty and my bangs were in my face.  Hard to believe I was the daughter of a dentist.  Hard to believe my parents were so absorbed in their own drama that I kept dying to get them out of it.  I wanted to go home with the pediatrician. 

Fortunately, CPS was never involved, and my grandparents became more involved.  I lived with them for about two years until my Grandpa became very ill with emphysema.  Those two years with my Grandparents worked like a magic charm. It was at that point I felt safe and was happy.  Grandmamma could sew.  She made me little costumes to play in.  I would be a ballerina all day leaping around the house.  I could be a pirate the next day leaping around the house but with a play sword.  I got physically stronger.  Grandpapa would take me to ball games and I loved just being with him and getting to eat a hot dog.  Then he would play base ball with me.  I would win.  I would win at board games too.  When I did really well he would give me a dollar.  Life just couldn’t get any better that summer.  Then it was time for school.  Grandmamma drove me to a private church school.  It was in a very small classroom.

The teacher took an enormous liking to me.  She saw my potential and pulled me out.  Other children liked me because she did.  I had great friends.  All of a sudden all the pieces were in place for me to succeed in school.  In fact when returned to my nuclear family, and returned to public school, I skipped a grade.  I was ahead of them.

 I noticed my second child speaking more telepathically that with words.  They don't teach to the indigo spirit in most schools, so I can understand my problems.  Also the labels and those little yellow school buses can be very stigmatizing.  I had poor self esteem in those early years.

I think things are changing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ledgend of the White Buffalo Calf Woman

  Legend of the White Buffalo Sioux (Lakota) The White Buffalo are sacred to many Native Americans. The Lakota (Sioux) Nation has passed...