Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Give Us This Day Our Ezekiel Bread

 



I am finding that Ezekiel Bread and genuine Sourdough Bread give me a great boost of energy and none of the symptoms that cheap bread and gluten seem to leave with me.

I was able to purchase Ezekiel Bread at Walmart.  Amazing.  I did not know they carried it.

To find it:  Search sprouted grain bread.  It is usually in the freezer with other specialty breads. 

does sprouting wheat lessen the amount of gluten? Does it make gluten more digestible than non-sprouted grains?

Today I did the following AI search and was amazed by the amount of information. 

Yes, sprouting wheat does lessen the total amount of gluten and alters its structure, which can make it easier to digest for some people. However, it does not eliminate gluten entirely, meaning it is still highly toxic to anyone with celiac disease. [1, 2]

I will share that I do not have celiac disease.  However, I do experience an uncomfortable feeling after eating certain types of bread.  I might feel sluggish or have brain fog.  It is subtile but I prefer not to experience it.  I am type 2 diabetic and I have a Libre 3 plus glucose monitor button on my arm.  I watch for blood sugar spikes.  Certain breads like Hawaiian bread or white breads do spike my blood sugar.  I try to avoid those peaks and valleys.  

How Sprouting Affects Gluten Quantity

  • Enzymatic breakdown: When a wheat berry sprouts, it activates natural enzymes (like protease) to feed the growing plant.
  • Protein reduction: These enzymes break down storage proteins—including gluten—into simpler amino acids and peptides.
  • Significant decrease: Research indicates that controlled sprouting can decrease the total measurable gluten content in the grain


  • Why Sprouted Wheat is More Digestible
  • "Pre-digested" proteins: Because enzymes have already started breaking down the complex, tightly bound gluten proteins, your digestive system does not have to work as hard to process them. [1, 2]
  • Starch conversion: Sprouting activates amylase enzymes that convert heavy starches into simpler carbohydrates, reducing the heavy, bloated feeling common with standard wheat. [1]
  • Fewer anti-nutrients: The process breaks down phytic acid, which otherwise binds to minerals and inhibits your body’s digestive enzymes. [1, 2]

One slice of original Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread contains 5 grams of protein. [1]

I mentioned feeling more energized and free of gluten symptoms.  AI responded to me:

It is wonderful that you are feeling more energized and free of your typical symptoms when eating it! Your experience makes total sense based on how the bread is made.

Why Ezekiel Bread Boosts Your Energy

  • Complete Protein: Because it combines grains (wheat, barley, millet, spelt) with legumes (lentils, soybeans), it forms a complete protein with all 9 essential amino acids, which aids muscle repair and sustained energy. [1, 2, 3, 4]
  • Low Glycemic Index: Sprouting breaks down starches into simpler sugars that digest slowly, preventing the blood sugar spikes and crashes that cause fatigue. [1, 2]
  • Increased Nutrient Bioavailability: The sprouting process unlocks vital B-vitamins, iron, and magnesium, making them easier for your body to absorb and utilize for daily energy. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Why You Aren't Having a Gluten Reaction

  • Pre-Digested Gluten: As we discussed, the natural enzymes in sprouted grains break down the complex, rigid gluten proteins into smaller, more manageable chains. [1, 2, 3, 4]

  • No Added Vital Wheat Gluten: Most commercial breads add extra, highly concentrated "vital wheat gluten" to make the loaves fluffier. Food for Life never adds this, meaning there is significantly less total gluten for your gut to handle. [1, 2, 3, 4]

Sourdough and Gluten Breakdown

Since you are interested in how sourdough affects gluten, the magic lies in a completely different process: long, slow bacterial fermentation. [1, 2, 3, 4]

[ Flour + Water ] [ Wild Yeast & Lactobacilli ] [ Lactic Acid Fermentation ] [ Breaks Down Gluten & Phytic Acid ]

  • Lactobacilli and Acidity: Authentic sourdough uses a starter culture packed with Lactobacillus bacteria. As these bacteria ferment the dough, they produce lactic acid, lowering the pH of the bread. [1, 2, 3, 4]

  • Enzyme Activation: This acidic environment activates specific enzymes called proteases within the flour. [1]

  • Deep Protein Degradation: While sprouting relies on the seed's own growth enzymes, sourdough fermentation relies on these acid-activated proteases to aggressively chop up the proline- and glutamine-rich proteins that make up gluten. [1]

For people with non-celiac gluten sensitivity, a traditional, long-fermented sourdough (fermented for 24 to 48 hours) can break down gluten so thoroughly that it becomes virtually unnoticeable to the digestive system. Like sprouted bread, it is still unsafe for celiac disease, but excellent for a sensitive gut. [1, 2, 3


Instagram

We’re loving the delicious way @anar_dietitian enjoys our Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread, plus her expert tips on blood sugar balance! 🙌 Big thanks for sharing this awesome reel. 🍞✨ 📸: @anar_dietitian


No comments:

Give Us This Day Our Ezekiel Bread

  I am finding that Ezekiel Bread and genuine Sourdough Bread give me a great boost of energy and none of the symptoms that cheap bread and ...