Monday, August 24, 2015

Points for Parenting Indigo Prodigies

 
They are all Prodigies of Course
 

Points for Parenting (from much hard earned experience.)

So you have an Indigo Child! That is such good news. Buy a pair of roller blades and get ready to have your beliefs challenged.

1.     We  are not molding them, they are here to teach us.  Yeah they did not come into this world a blank page that we will use behavioral techniques on to structure them.  These kids are very aware and realize the systems in place need replacing.  They are system busters.

2.    They demand respect.  They will respect you if you are honest and open with them.  There are ways to respect Indigo Children and still maintain house rules and boundaries.  Interesting that they are really good at defining what it is to be human and to have positive energy.  They prefer to keep the energy in a good place.  Have a round table discussion where everyone discusses the rules and contributes to those rules.  If anyone slips up on those rules, what should happen?  They are very insightful and creative about consequences.  Some of the old disciplines just don’t work.  And if you do decide to use corporal punishment that is going to destroy the trust you really need with your child.  They will build a huge emotional wall that resembles the cold war. The best parenting weapon you will have is the relationship you build with them. 

3.    They will have emotional outbursts.  Anger is not necessarily a bad thing with them.  I look back at my experience with my child’s anger andI am glad that he was allowed to express it.  If it gets too bad, everyone takes a time out.  Learning nonviolent communication is going to save the day. Parents can benefit by getting in a class that shows you how not to be inflammatory and escalate an emotional situation. 

4.    They are naturally curious about the world and each other.  Some of the best learning opportunities are just following their lead.  What do they want know?  As I parented an indigo who wanted to build things and figure out how everything worked;  I had to find a handyman type to explain gadgets and appliances.  This little guy could put together a toy that came in pieces faster than I could read the instructions.  He just got it.  My second one was a non verbal telepathic communicator from the start.  Getting him to use words was on going. 

5.    I found it helpful to have art supplies around.  Indigos have many unexpressed feelings. They can draw their feelings and concepts and that can really save the day. If they are bored they draw.  Mine would draw in school.  The teacher was perplexed but he said: I finished my work and it was easy so I started to draw. Keeping them challenged in public school is a headache. I learned later that a parent must apply for gifted testing in writing. That is how it is here. I would suggest it but I obviously did not know my rights and they ignored it.

6.    Nature walks help ground us all but it is essential for Indigo kids. Nature can teach all of us many valuable lessons.  Animals are great educators.  One day at the park my two boys were trying to feed the grasshoppers.  A man walked over.  He admired the tranquility that my boys displayed and said, “in my day we (us kids) might have hurt them for fun”.  Perish that thought.  Indigos are very empathetic.  They naturally respect all sentient life and they might ask to be vegetarian early on.

7.    Indigos might talk about past lives, they might be aware of spirit entities, they might communicate telepathically with other children who can do that.  They might be able to bend spoons or move objects.  Parents need to be at ease with all these developments.  Indigos will find their own teachers.  They will look for mentors to aid them in development.  They don't expect parents to have universal knowledge. Never lie about that.  It is perfectly ok to say "I just don't know that answer".

8.     Bottom line, they appreciate their parents without coaxing that natural relationship.  They want a positive relationship and they will be the one to instigate happier more fulfilling discussions with their parents.  Often just clear honest discussion will be all the discipline needed.  They will honor the point of view of the parent most of the time.  If they don’t honor it, know that it is not because they disrespect you (us), it is because there is a flawed basic premise in what we are saying.   They see through things in a way our parents did not.  It is often much easier to say,  I feel worried when you don’t come right home after school than to say if you are not home after school, there will be a consequence.   Sometimes they need to see the parent’s point of view from an emotional vantage point.  That works very well. They often feel parents are brain washed by the status quo, but if you can appeal to their sensitive nature they will accept that you just need them to behave a certain way.  Worked well about 60% of the time.

9.      Somethings are non-negotiable in parenting.  Anything that is dangerous to self or others or extremely important to a parent might have some consequences.  Do not yell or punish when others are present, such as friends or out in public.  Speak in a normal tone of voice.  If they do not seem to hear you.  Stop what you are doing and go over to them. Get at eye level and repeat your request.  Clearly in a normal tone of voice.  Example:  Honey don’t pick the cat up that way. Honey keeps on doing it and ignores suggestion.  Normally a parent would just yell louder and maybe even add a verbal threat.  Instead, go over to Honey and say, “This is a mommy cat about ready to have her kittens so we are going to put her down so she can relax.”  Usually, Honey will do it because you are right there.  If not then take the cat from Honey and redirect Honey to some other activity.  Sounds like work, but not really, in time when you reinforce your words with action, they listen to you right away and you won’t be screaming at them.  That raises your blood pressure and cortisol. Stress and fear based parenting are not as effective and that kind of strategy leads to more unhealthy behavior. 

10.There are lots of parenting books out there.  The ones that teach you to listen are really important.  I missed that part in my childhood and I was not always good at really listening to my two guys.  Being fully present and holding the space that says: you are important and I am listening; that is the best reward and validation for kids.  My mom would say “I love you” but her actions did not show that.  It doesn’t take money to impress kids.  If kids ask for something expensive, just honor it with some fantasy and vision.  If they want to have a “rocket ship” then start drawing pictures of the one they want.  Visit a space camp or start a really cool scrap book full of rocket ships.  That same thing applies to wanting a pet Koala bear.  My mom would slam those ideas into the trash with a “money doesn’t grow on trees” talk.  Don’t slam good, fun, creative ideas.  You can milk those moments and use them.  Talk about a token reward system, you have the fuel for that fire.  Good report card gets 50 dollars put into the space camp fund.  (There might be a scholarship available too). 

 

Indigos are taking us all to a better place.  I learned so much from my two boys.  I wasn’t the best indigo parent and of course I got tired, impatient, yelled and behaved poorly at times.  I learned a great deal when I enrolled myself in a parenting class. My guys were ages 9 and 11 and the old ways just were not working.  I started enjoying them more and life became a lot easier once I caught on.  I found the teen years to be absolutely delightful.  They were becoming their own persons and pushing on to new intellectual heights.  I learned to hang with them.  They were budding standup comedians and we all laughed till it hurt at times.  That’s how I learned to roll.  Don’t put me on a pedestal, because, I don’t need to be there, but, I am passing some things along that helped saved the day for me.  Hope you enjoyed my points and maybe they will work for you too
 
 Go Indigos!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ledgend of the White Buffalo Calf Woman

  Legend of the White Buffalo Sioux (Lakota) The White Buffalo are sacred to many Native Americans. The Lakota (Sioux) Nation has passed...