Thursday, September 6, 2012

Encourage the Examination of Assumptions


Encourage the examination of assumptions

I just began another grad class called motivational interviewing.  Perhaps you have heard of Emotional Interviewing and I will be sharing more on how everyone can use it, especially parents with teenagers.  My goal is to be the most effective counselor I can possibly be.  Let me break that down a bit.
According to my Angels and Higher Ups, “You have the opportunity and position to influence the thinking of those around you. You do not have time for approval seeking just initiate new ideas and challenge the assumed truths that others hold but challenge with respect and kindness.  Later people will thank you.”  This is what I received in my meditation and I always ask to be of service and to line up my personal will with the will of the Highest Good. Furthermore I must sacrifice some privacy to help others evolve and discover new ways of looking at things.  I would like to look at two rather sticky beliefs.  Religion and Intentional communities.

Religion

 Religion in general does hold truth.  Each religion is someone’s idea of a path towards God and greater realization.  This path is very individual.  There are thousands of paths to God and greater personal awareness.  In this respect religion can be very limiting.  Refuse to be put in a box that is not your own making.  Edgar Cayce said this: "Don't quit your place of worship because you have outgrown it, just make it a better place because you are there".  I love Edgar Cayce and how very true that is.  Our churches and synagogues try and do charitable works and uphold family values.  We can get involved for those reasons.

Intentional Communities

One assumption I would like to challenge and maybe get some response to it this:  What prevents people from forming intentional communities?  We could benefit in so many ways be sharing resources right now, I think.  Some of my concerns are rather petty but they might be yours too.

 Have you ever had a really bad roommate?  Have you had boundary issues at work with co-workers?  If you are a home owner you might appreciate the fence between you and a noisy neighbor.  I am just throwing out the obvious concerns, but there are others.  Have you ever had to stay with a friend for a while and found it taxed the friendship?  Perhaps you were unable to stay friends after being around each other in a different less fun way.

Now flip this around a bit.  You have just survived a disaster.  It can be any type of disaster but it as devastated millions of people.  All you have is gone, and your neighborhood has disappeared too.   Look at all those complaints and concerns we just mentioned and decide if there is a positive and respectful way that you could have made your needs and boundaries known?  In what way can coming together serve us all.  What little sacrifices need to be made?  

Just food for thought…or is it?  Something tells me we need to think this through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ledgend of the White Buffalo Calf Woman

  Legend of the White Buffalo Sioux (Lakota) The White Buffalo are sacred to many Native Americans. The Lakota (Sioux) Nation has passed...